The Smithsonian Institution publishes research and practical materials to help those in the U.S. and abroad be fully prepared in the planning and response before, during, and after a disaster occurs. Click below on sources of information related to protecting heritage collections both before and after a disaster.
- Heritage Emergency National Task Force Resources
- First Aid to Cultural Heritage in Times of Crisis Handbook
- First Aid to Cultural Heritage in Times of Crisis Toolkit
- Emergency Evacuation of Heritage Collections
- Preserving Cultural Heritage in Crisis: A Selected Bibliography
Collaboration and partnerships are key to our strategy for cultural heritage and disasters. Click here for a list of coordinating organizations and financial supporters who we turn to in order to enhance our disaster outreach capabilities.
In an effort to increase our training, response, and research capabilities, we host or assist in programming multiple conferences around the globe, convening experts to study and actively support the protection of cultural heritage in crisis.